Subject: Re: man pages: option ordering
To: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/06/2002 17:23:24
On Sun, 6 Jan 2002, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> Just take a look at the flags e.g. after -r in pax(1):
> 	[-cdiknuvzADOYZ]
> Why should the ordering of those be different in each man page?
> I think consistency helps avoiding confusion, and I just want to find
> an ordering we can more or less agree upon before doing the changes.

I guess they put the capitals last, because you usually only go with a
capital after you've used the corresponding small letter (except there
is no "pax -y" -- go figure). This tends to make the capital option
the newer and less significant one. Barring other considerations, that
seems like the way to go, to me.

Frederick