Subject: Re: man pages: option ordering
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/06/2002 15:20:10
[ On Sunday, January 6, 2002 at 20:22:12 (+0100), Thomas Klausner wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: man pages: option ordering
>
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 01:02:46PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> Just take a look at the flags e.g. after -r in pax(1):
> 	[-cdiknuvzADOYZ]
> Why should the ordering of those be different in each man page?
> I think consistency helps avoiding confusion, and I just want to find
> an ordering we can more or less agree upon before doing the changes.

I really don't get what you're going on about.

You are talking about one tiny list that almost any sighted person can
take in with one glance.

So long as there is any kind of apparent order it is very trivial for
almost any educated person to see whether or not a given letter is in
the list.

I really don't mind the inconsistency between manual pages either.  It
gives them character in an otherwise extremely drab environment.

(I personally do slightly prefer [A-Za-z0-9] ordering though :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods