Subject: Re: RFC: migration to a fully dynamically linked system
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/06/2002 15:10:48
[ On Friday, January 4, 2002 at 12:29:25 (-0800), John Nemeth wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: RFC: migration to a fully dynamically linked system
>
>      Personally, I would like to see option 2 (static programs being
> able to use dlopen()).

In an ideal world we would never allow the program counter to stray from
read only text segments in statically linked binaries (and even in
dynamic linked binaries, where dynamic loaded shared text would have to
be mmap'ed read-only too).  I hope to someday see this restriction
implemented on systems with suitable hardware support thus making it
impossible for static linked programs to ever make use of dlopen() [at
least not without making dlopen() a system call, that is].

--
								Greg A. Woods