Subject: Re: RFC: migration to a fully dynamically linked system
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/30/2001 02:46:08
wrstuden@netbsd.org (Bill Studenmund) writes:

>We could have the kernel try /recovery/init at that point, but how does
>the kernel know if we're in a, "libc is messed up, try recovery" mode, or
>a, "we're doomed, panic until someone comes to help" mode?

Why not make this a user input when booting a kernel with ask option ?
Any kind of automatic behaviour will surely search the wrong binary
at the wrong time.

You could then also use this feature to bootstrap a statically linked
stand-alone recovery program instead of init. I prefer an altroot
partition or NFS-mounted root with a sane system for recovery,
but that's a different story.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv@serpens.de