Subject: Re: Allowing ${name}_path to be set in "rc.conf", was Re: Keeping /etc/defaults and /etc/rc.d in-sync
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/29/2001 22:02:15
    Date:        Fri, 28 Dec 2001 09:33:44 -0600 (CST)
    From:        Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>

I seem to have missed the message where you said ...

  | > Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net> wrote:
  | >
  | > > The question is, whether the syntax of "rc.conf" should be extended to
  | > > permit changing the path *to* *the* *executable*, in order to make
  | > > custom rc.d scripts unnecessary.

I replied to Jason when he suggested this (just to him as he had a
Reply-To which requested that...)

But that's not the only reason why one might want to customise rc.d
scripts - perhaps a bigger reason is that there's currently no way at
all to affect the magic comments.

Eg: if you're running swap on raidframe, you need to add

	# KEYWORD: shutdown

to rc.d/swap1 so raid gets a chance to clean up the device and mark the
parity as clean - otherwise parity has to be rebuilt after every reboot.

There's no way to come even close to do that currently.   Similarly, if
you need to change the order of the scripts for some reason, you need
to adjust the PROVIDES and REQUIRES (sometimes BEFORE) magic comments.

Until there's some way to adjust those, we shouldn't be just blindly
overwriting rc.d/*

But, of course it is OK to overwrite anything that hasn't been altered
(which will be 99% of the rc.d/* files actually existing I suspect).

kre