Subject: Re: Keeping /etc/defaults and /etc/rc.d in-sync
To: Frederick Bruckman <>
From: Andrew Brown <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/27/2001 23:49:20
>If you're going to execute every single thing in /usr/pkg/etc/rc.d,
>/usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d, and /usr/local/etc/rc.d anyway, where's the seperation?

the possible lack of the above at the time that /etc/rc collects the
scripts that all need to run?  /usr might not be present at the same
time that / is, and i actually have /usr/X11R6 on an nfs volume so
that arrives even later than /usr when my machine boots.

>Why not just put everything into /etc/rc.d?

no reason, other than the above.

>We've been through all this before, as a search over the tech-pkg
>archives would show. The only new thing here, is my idea to permit
>changing the path in "/etc/rc.conf". What's wrong with that?

not much, except you don't need it.  for the past 18 months you could
have used /etc/rc.conf.d for that.