Subject: Re: Keeping /etc/defaults and /etc/rc.d in-sync
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@interlude.eu.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/27/2001 19:02:49
kpneal@pobox.com wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 12:08:33PM -0500, Andrew Brown wrote:
> > >It seems to me that some of the problems noted here could be dealt with in a
> > >more simple way by having /usr/{local,pkg,X11R6}/etc/rc.d included in
> > >rcorder's pass during boot. I know it has been said that there were problems
> > >with this. What are they?
> >
> > well...first of all, there's the problem of whether or not /usr is
> > *present* at the time that rc starts running...
>
> So have an rc script run after /usr is mounted and execute all the
> /usr/* rc.d scripts then?

That would satisfy me (having a clean seperation between system and local
scripts, raising visiblity), since I can accept making changes to the system
itself for anything more complicated (like a new version of named, where
named where named is truly a dependancy, for instance). Having some
subdirectories under /etc/rc.d is another scheme that comes to mind.

Andrew