Subject: Re: Keeping /etc/defaults and /etc/rc.d in-sync
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/27/2001 05:41:10
der Mouse writes:

>> Since the system-provided scripts and defaults files are not meant to
>> be modified by the end-user, [...]
>
>I'm not surprised to hear this, though it seems to me like a rather
>sleazy way of sliding this change in.  (Yes, it is a change; it didn't
>used to be the case that the boot scripts were not considered
>user-modifiable.)  "You'll run what we provide, and like it."

Well... imho /etc/rc.d/* scripts should more or less be treated
like /etc/rc or /etc/rc.subr -- i.e., you can of course modify
them if you know what you're doing but if it is advisable is a
different thing.  I mean, since adding rc.d scripts is probably
considered to be in the "user maintenance" domain, you could
aswell backup the script you'd like to "modify" to *.orig or such,
and modify a copy, or use a symlink.
IMHO a /etc/defaults/rc.d construct would be a rather useless
and, frankly, not very well thought of idea.

--mkb