Subject: Re: Keeping /etc/defaults and /etc/rc.d in-sync
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/26/2001 20:49:54
On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

# On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Greywolf wrote:
#
# > The files in /etc/rc.d are supposed to be sacrosanct and tunable by
# > rc.conf.  One should NOT have to mangle ANYTHING inside an /etc/rc.d/*
# > file.  If this is not the case, then we need to make it so.
#
# In that case, I would like it if "/etc/rc.conf" let you set the path
# to the executable, like so
#
# ntpd=YES	ntpd_path="/usr/local/bin/ntpd" ntpd_flags=""
#
# That would actually go a long way toward solving the question of what
# to do with pkgsrc rc.d scripts. (They shouldn't be any different than
# the current base scripts. If pkgsrc does need to add a shell function,
# you make it conditional on the version as reported by the utility.)

Actually, what would go a long way toward solving that would also be
/etc/mk.conf, in which LOCALBASE and X11BASE are defined.

i.e.

ntpd=YES	ntpd_path="$LOCALBASE/bin/ntpd"

This in case LOCALBASE ever gets redefined and migrated.  Not likely,
but possible.

# That said, I withdraw my objection to thorpej's original proposal.
#
# Frederick

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: "Progress on your system is closer than it appears."