Subject: Re: Keeping /etc/defaults and /etc/rc.d in-sync
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/26/2001 15:24:35
On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> + # Descend into defaults and rc.d to make sure the base system startup
> + # defaults are in-sync with the rest of the userland.
> + SUBDIR+=	defaults rc.d
> +

> I will commit this patch in a couple of days unless there are any
> legitimate objections (i.e. rejections of the form "I don't like this"
> are invalid -- you need to provide a valid reason WHY you don't like
> it :-)

I don't like this. :-)

It's fine to say that "rc.d" isn't meant to be modified by the user, but
if you need/want to replace, say, openssh, ntpd, or bind with a
different version, there's no better way to do it than to install the
replacement in /usr/local or /usr/pkg and change the path in the rc.d
script.

Overwriting "/etc/defaults" is fine with me.

Frederick