Subject: Re: RFC: migration to a fully dynamically linked system
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/26/2001 08:21:55
> As to /sbin/init; there's a couple of solutions:
[...]
> 	  Provide /sbin/init.static and/or /recovery/sbin/static
> 	  (see below for more info about recovery options), and add
> 	  those paths to the list of paths (listpaths[]) that
> 	  sys/kern/init_main.c::start_init() tries to exec.

You mean the kernel still has a hardwired list of paths?  Ages ago I
added code so that if the exec of init fails, or if an option
(RB_INITPATH) is provided by the MD boot code, it prompts for a
pathname for init.

By now I no longer recall whether I tried to get it put in and it was
rejected or whether I never tried.  Either way, if there's interest
now, I'll be glad to extract that part of my patch to init_main.c (and
<sys/reboot.h>, to define RB_INITPATH), clean it up so it applies to
-current, and make it available.  I can also make available the MD
changes I've made for the ports (alpha, i386, sparc, sun3) on which
I've done them, to provide a way to set this at boot.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign