Subject: Re: RFC: migration to a fully dynamically linked system
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/26/2001 17:55:14
On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 03:27:06PM -0800, Simon J. Gerraty wrote:
  | Now I admit, that a fully dynamic system would give me pause. But
  | I've been known to keep the crunchgen'd cat (and as many links as
  | you like) about from the installation media and found it handy on
  | more than one occassion. Perhaps standardizing on a location for
  | a crunchgen'd recovery set would go a long way to reducing the
  | percieved risks of all dynamic setup at minimal overhead.

Reasonable recovery tools were part of my original proposal.  This
point was lost on a lot of people who read "dynamic /bin proposed",
read no further, and immediately replied along the lines of
``I've been bitten by Solaris/Linux/...'s lack of recovery tools
and dynamic /bin, therefore this is a bad idea''.

A decent crunchgen-ed (or whatever) statically linked set of tools in
a standard place like /recovery or /recovery/{bin,sbin}/ will provide
the safety blanket you currently have in a statically linked /bin and
/sbin, for much less diskspace :)

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@wasabisystems.com>  http://www.wasabisystems.com
Luke Mewburn     <lukem@netbsd.org>      http://www.netbsd.org