Subject: syntax ideas solicited
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/24/2001 15:25:23
For some time, I've gotten mad at a certain behavior of cron: when I
sleep my laptop overnight and wake it up, it starts running all the
cron jobs that were scheduled overnight. Of course, the first thing
that I want when I wake up my laptop is *not* to have it start doing a
large bunch of finds. OTOH, if I leave the machine on overnight, I
would like the jobs run.

I got the idea that what I'd do is add a small feature to cron in
which one specifies in a crontab "if you miss this time, DO NOT try to
run the job later". I was thinking of putting some special character
(like a $ or a % or something) in the first column of the job time to
indicate this.

Any ideas on an appropriate character, or alternate syntaxes, or ideas
on prior art, or just plain ideas?

--
Perry E. Metzger		perry@wasabisystems.com