Subject: syntax ideas solicited
To: None <>
From: Perry E. Metzger <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/24/2001 15:25:23
For some time, I've gotten mad at a certain behavior of cron: when I
sleep my laptop overnight and wake it up, it starts running all the
cron jobs that were scheduled overnight. Of course, the first thing
that I want when I wake up my laptop is *not* to have it start doing a
large bunch of finds. OTOH, if I leave the machine on overnight, I
would like the jobs run.

I got the idea that what I'd do is add a small feature to cron in
which one specifies in a crontab "if you miss this time, DO NOT try to
run the job later". I was thinking of putting some special character
(like a $ or a % or something) in the first column of the job time to
indicate this.

Any ideas on an appropriate character, or alternate syntaxes, or ideas
on prior art, or just plain ideas?

Perry E. Metzger
NetBSD Development, Support & CDs.