Subject: Re: RFC: migration to a fully dynamically linked system
To: Ben Harris <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/21/2001 13:59:56
On Fri, 21 Dec 2001, Ben Harris wrote:

: >       Provide an optional recovery mechanism such as /stand/{,s}bin
: >       which contains statically linked versions of some (or all) of
: >       the programs in /{s,}bin.
: That's not a good name, since we use "stand" in the source tree to indicate
: things that run directly from the bootloader without needing a kernel.

Right, I agree.  Typically "/stand" refers to a boot filesystem, sometimes
populated with the bootstrap of some machine's "native" boot system, and
tools that run outside of NetBSD or for preparation of NetBSD.

-- Todd Vierling <>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support --