Subject: Re: RFC: migration to a fully dynamically linked system
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/21/2001 16:20:48
Greywolf writes:

>It's also not clear what going full ldd really buys us.  LDAP doesn't
>qualify since there are third-party open-source versions.
>
>The way it is now is not broken -- please don't fix it.

I'd greatly appreciate a flexible PAM(-like) scenario, tho..  the
way authentication is ATM is a bit unsatisfactory, IMHO.  Some kind
of PAM daemon which is dynamically linked and which organizes
via IPC would be ok, also... that way static binaries could fallback
to traditional stuff if the pam daemon is not available (due to
hosed libraries or whatever.)  That method would be more elegant
than each program loading the respective modules itself via a
pam library, even, and is a lot more failsafe.

--mkb