Subject: Re: RFC: migration to a fully dynamically linked system
To: None <cgd@broadcom.com>
From: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/21/2001 11:01:53
>   3. Dynamically link everything against /lib

Hmm, I don't like this.

When I was hit by the -current sparc ld.elf_so bug (i.e. everything linked
dynamically suddenly stopped working after installing new binaries), I could
bring my DSL router (which happens to be the only sparc system around) up
far enough again to configure PPPoE, connect to the internet and fetch the
latest snapshot from ftp.netbsd.org, to extract a working ld.elf_so from
there.

Actually, as a quick hack, I cross compiled a static "ipnat" too, to keep the
outage for the network behind that NAT machine short.

Ok, normal procedure would have been to extract ld.elf_so from the backup -
which I happened to not yet have created (/brick me). I sure hope whatever
tools I would have needed to extract from the backup would better be
statically linked. And by the way, I'm famous for using strange backup
methods (like tar, bzip2 & scp over a wavelan connection).

Martin