Subject: Re: pthreads libraries for netbsd?
To: Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/09/2001 13:14:09
On Tue, 4 Dec 2001, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:
> what is the current recommendation for a POSIX threads library in
> NetBSD?  I looked at pkgsrc and searched the netbsd.org and just got
> more confused...  There's MIT-pthreads and proven-threads (which are
> the same?) and unproven-threads and GNU pthr (gthreads?)  I also saw
> references to NSPR threads.  Which one is the most complete?  Since
> they all are userlevel they are not really preemptive, right?  What do
> people use for their POSIX thread needs?

Right now, pth seems to be the most preferred one, at least it's used
by a number of packages.

mit-pthreads is ancient, and unproven-pthreads is based on it.
NSPR is the Netscape/Mozilla threading code, but I'm not aware of it being
used outside of that.

Please note that there is work in progress to get a native NetBSD
pthreads library that will come with the Schedular Activations work, but
that's some time off (as far as I understand).

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> http://www.NetBSD.org/