Subject: Re: useradd: spaces and $ in usernames
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/16/2001 14:46:21
On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> If this were to go in (and I dislike the idea in general), I'd want
> a special switch to enable this kind of thing - it should not be
> on by default. I am not pressing my view of the world onto everyone
> else, merely stating that, by veering from the path taken by every
> other Unix system I have ever known, we should highlight it in very
> large letters.

What do you think about a warning if some "unusual" username is requested?

# useradd ' foo$ '
Warning: non-alphanumeric/./_/- usernames may leed to non-obvious problems!
#

Or so, improved wording welcome. (I didn't implement that yet... the
code's at home). Changing the two errx() to warnx() calls that follow
valid_login() should be good enough for that IMHO.

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> http://www.NetBSD.org/