Subject: Re: useradd: spaces and $ in usernames
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/15/2001 16:14:56
In particular, NIS does not handle unprintable characters anywhere with
any degree of decorum.  Keep your "NIS is bad" to yourself.  It's still
used, and we can't break that.

I was able to change my password once to something with a control char
in it, but it wouldn't let me change it back because of that control
char.  I suspect one might run into similar problems with usernames.
If someone can test this with usernames and prove me wrong, I'd love
to hear about it. 8-D

struct just_my {
	char worth:2;
};