Subject: Re: useradd: spaces and $ in usernames
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/15/2001 19:10:09
>> It's been brought to my attention that there might be desires to use
>> spaces and $s in login names[*], and I wonder if there's a really
>> good reason (besides the obvious ones :-) to not allow all but ':'
>> in login names?  (If admins want it, give 'em the rope etc.)

> You definitely don't want to allow unprintable characters.

(a) Why not?  (Okay, in the case of newline, there is a good reason why
not.  But for others?)  People wouldn't normally use them, no, but as
the original message (probably inadvertently) pointed out, not all
usernames belong to people.

(b) For whose value of "unprintable"?  ASCII?  ISO 8859?  JIS
whatever-it-is?  (Escape-sequence character set shifts in usernames?)

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign