Subject: Re: New possibility to move "obj" logic *out* of make(1)
To: None <>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/31/2001 16:13:17
> Actually, my point was more that make(1) doesn't *really* need to use $PWD
> at all; it has done more harm than good because of all our twisty mazes of
> objdir handling methods.  If there's no really good reason for keeping it,
> I'd say `nuke it' and let getcwd() sort it out always.

I have no problem with that - though others might.

Anyway, while I can see .OBJDIR: being useful, I'm far from
comfortable with dissabling the current built-in objdir behaviour.
If you have to edit a Makefile to do

its no more trouble to make it use something other that 'obj' for its
intended temp work dir, or to make it do the right thing to find its
generated makefile etc.

BTW, the nbmake-foo scripts that generates should do:

Setting MACHINE etc on the command line, does not help objdir
selection and prevents a Makefile from overriding them.