Subject: Re: MacOS-X/NeXT style dynamic libraries
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org (NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion\>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/29/2001 16:47:56
>Finally it's comforting to note that MacOS-X developers also have much
>more cleanly and clearly defined rules about shared library versioning.
>
>I'm now much more interested in doing some MacOS-X development!

My (limited) experience with the whole framework stuff is that you
end up linking against framework libraries you don't specify.  E.g.,
because MIT Kerberos 5 uses com_err, if you try linking against your
private copy of com_err, you'll get a warning and an error message which
indicates that it's linking against the MacOS-included com_err ... even
though you don't specify that framework on the command line.  Maybe
this is possible to turn off somehow, but I pored over the man pages
for the linker for a while and I didn't see anything obvious.

--Ken