Subject: Re: proposed changes to system config files
To: Hubert Feyrer <>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/29/2001 07:49:30
Hubert Feyrer wrote
> On Sun, 28 Oct 2001, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> > The proposed changes have no impact on the current situation other
> > than providing a means of configuring IPv6 capable systems using a
> > procedure similar to that currently used for IPv4.
> Why configure a manual default-route when routersolicitation can be used?

Good question. In my case it didn't work without setting a default
route manually. Whilst I was able to ping the remote end from the
router, it refused to route IPv6 traffic via that interface.

The system in question is intended to act as a router for the
local network. The interfaces are configure utilizing
ifconfig.de0 and ifconfig.gif0. rc.conf is configured with the
following options:

rtadvd=YES 	rtadvd_flags="de0"

The same setup without defaultroute6 defined didn't work. The link
only came alive after explicit declaration of the defaultroute6.

cheerio Berndt
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  :             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes
ICQ     : 18196098                     |  VK5ABN, Nairne, South Australia
URL     : | MBOX :
Sysinfo : DEC AXPpci33+, NetBSD-1.5    | BBS  : vk5abn.#lmr.#sa.aus.oc