Subject: Re: proposed changes to system config files
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/28/2001 15:42:57
On Sun, Oct 28, 2001 at 05:31:52PM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> G'day,
> I would like to propose the following changes:
> In /etc/defaults/rc.conf amend
> ----------------- /etc/defaults/rc.conf ----------------------
> [...]
> defaultroute6=""
> ----------------- /etc/defaults/rc.conf ----------------------
> In /etc/rc.d/network amend

> [ ... code to evaluate said variable ... ]
> This follows the configuration scheme used for IPv4. It would make
> system configurations for IPv6 a little more intuitive and easier for
> users with lesser experience.
> What do you think?
> Please include in your reply as I'm not
> a member of this list at the time of writing.

In the easy case - a machine connected to a routed LAN - this is
not necessary, and even wrong, because the machine will be
auto-configured by the router(s).

In the complicated case - the machine is the router itself - you need to set
up lots of stuff to make this work - your default route is the easy part
thereof, and useless for itself.

(Yes, there's PPP, which needs a different (bunch of) configuration file(s)
also, in either case.)