Subject: Re: don't remove ksh
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/21/2001 02:11:35
[ On Saturday, October 20, 2001 at 18:50:04 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: don't remove ksh
>
> Only in /etc, or only if you opted to overwrite the base system.

That's what _you_ think -- but that's not what I'm talking about.

>  I can't
> think of a single package that skrogs / or /usr off the top of my head.

It's irrelevant.  The _ONLY_ information that helps you distinguish
original release files from anything else are timestamps, and we all
know how unreliable timestamp information can be in many circumstances.
Unless you "chflags schg" all the release files and directories you've
got no way to guarantee that they are not touched or added to.

Regardless of how you install stuff or partition your system a proper
manifest of release and add-on files and all their attributes is an
essential prerequisite to even beginning to get a handle on
configuration management, especially w.r.t. upgrades and patches.

--
							Greg A. Woods