Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/20/2001 16:16:20
On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 02:42:52PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
>[ On Saturday, October 20, 2001 at 15:43:26 (GMT), Charles M. Hannum wrote: ]
>> I update the base system about once a month.
>
>Hmmm.... that's odd, very odd indeed -- I've never seen so many releases
>from NetBSD myself, let alone "major" releases (whatever we might define
>them to be).  Where are you getting your monthly releases from?  And
>you're finding complete pkg[src] releases to go along with them too?

who said anything about releases?  charles is assumedly tracking
current and dealing with all the pitfalls that accompany that.  i
would also assume that any problems he (or anyone else tracking
current, like myself) encounter, will be fixed or addresses so as to
make an upgrade to the next release as smooth as possible for the
important users: the larger majority of people who don't have the time
of skill to tinker with every little thing.

i myself track current, and update my base system sporadically.  it
might be a few days or a week between updates, or it might be months.
as counterpoint to that, i typically build stuff from pkgsrc when i
want it, not when i update anything, meaning that i have tons of stuff
that has been built vs older revisions of all sorts of libraries.
i'll rebuild something if it complains (as lsof and gtop do), but it
usually just works, sso i don't have to worry about it.

>I think you're dreaming about something totally unrelated to what I've
>been talking about.  Your comments are off base and irrelevant.

i think you're being deliberately obtuse.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|