Subject: Re: don't remove ksh
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/20/2001 02:56:45
Greywolf said:

>If the hierarchies merge, I might as well use Linux for all the good
>it'd do.

>On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

># Is it really any harder to look at a list of files vs. a directory
># listing?

It's more than that.

You have a Sun 3/50 with a 250 meg drive. The most logical way
to install is:

1. Netboot system
2. label and newfs disk
3. tar --unlink -zxvpf *.tgz
4. write bootstrap and reboot

You don't need to boot from a specific NetBSD version.

You don't need to reinstall on the netboot system every time you
upgrade.

And you don't fill up /var with a software database.

And chasing -current on any platform would become a little more
dicey if "make build" had to rebuild a database every time it
ran. Consider a build that dies while it is manipulating the
database.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com