Subject: Re: OK to put `uname -r` in "Release:" field of "send-pr"?
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/19/2001 08:07:24
On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Robert Elz wrote:

>   | Would anyone object if I change the "send-pr" Makefile to put the (build
>   | time) result of `uname -r` into the "send-pr" script itself?
>
> No objection, not that it would be my place to do so anyway.
>
> But how much will it help?   I know that I almost never end up running
> send-pr from the system where the bug actually occurred.

Perhaps, then, you would remember to change it. It can always be changed
"after the fact", too. At least there'd be something consistent and
useful in that field, so one day, for example, the web page could
categorize by release.

The immediate benefit is that it would remove the possibility for
error/ommission on releng's part, so we won't see any more PR's saying
the release field is wrong on future releases.

Frederick