Subject: Re: OK to put `uname -r` in "Release:" field of "send-pr"?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/19/2001 18:21:20
    Date:        Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:28:31 -0500 (CDT)
    From:        Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>

  | Would anyone object if I change the "send-pr" Makefile to put the (build
  | time) result of `uname -r` into the "send-pr" script itself?

No objection, not that it would be my place to do so anyway.

But how much will it help?   I know that I almost never end up running
send-pr from the system where the bug actually occurred.   I do almost
all my mail from fairly stable systems that get upgraded very infrequently
at all, and almost all my bug finding (such as it is) on systems which
are much more currrent, but which are quite likely not to have any kind of
rational mail configuration at all (sending mail from them is likely to
simply fail completely, so I always go elsewhere).

kre