Subject: Re: seetting umask with scp
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/18/2001 19:50:22
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Andrew Brown wrote:

# Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 11:55:45 -0400
# From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
# To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
# Cc: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org
#
# >	If your source permissions are right you could use -p, otherwise
# >	I think you're right.
#
# you have two options.
#
# (1) as david suggested, use scp -p and set the permissions on the
# local side to be what you want on the remote side.
#
# (2) tweak your shell startup script(s) on the remote side (.profile or
# .cshrc or .bashrc or whatever) to set your umask there to something
# that will allow the mode to end up the way you want.  note that this
# won't *add* extra bits (so a 644 file will be at most 644 on the
# remote system), it will only subtract bits (so a 664 file going to a
# remote system with the umask set to 022 will end up as 644).

(3) (compile and) install rsync.  scp usually blows up on me when I do
a recursive copy.

# |-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
# codewarrior@daemon.org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet
# twofsonet@graffiti.com (Andrew Brown)                that goes *ping*!"