Subject: Re: lib/13: getopt(3) should handle wide characters intelligently
To: =?iso-8859-1?q?Jarom=EDr?= <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Klaus Klein <kleink@reziprozitaet.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/18/2001 12:11:35
"Jarom=EDr" Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org> writes:

> SUSv2 has this to say:
> """
> APPLICATION USAGE
> The getopt() function is only required to support option characters
> included in Guideline 3.  Many historical implementations of getopt()
> support other characters as options. This is an allowed extension,
> but applications that use extensions are not maximally portable.
> Note that support for multi-byte option characters is only possible
> when such characters can be represented as type int.
> """
>=20
> I have not found that the referred to 'Guideline 3' contains,
> but I expect it to contain US-ASCII characters only.

"Guideline 3" refers to "Utility Syntax Guideline 3", which can be
found in the "Utility Conventions" page in XBD.

It's not clear to me what the objective of the PR is, i.e. option
letters or option arguments.  For the former, there seems to be no
compelling reason for extension (though I hear nothing screaming
against doing so either, per se); the latter is an
application-specific issue.

- Klaus