Subject: Re: uucp pkg available for testing [was: Re: Proposal for new utility
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/18/2001 01:46:02
Hubert Feyrer said:

>On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Lucio De Re wrote:
>> * intentionally personal reply - feel free to publish *
>
>OK! :)

>Um, historic reasons - the pkg system is not as old as the rest of the
>system, but the goal is to move to a pkg based base system eventually. I
>hear there's some work on it's way, but that should not stop us now.

Right now there are dozens of ways to install NetBSD.

The most simple way is to:

1. format disk
2. label disk
3. newfs disk
4. tar --unlink -zxvpf *.tgz

I would hate to lose the flexibility of installation that NetBSD now
offers.

The idea that I would need "special" software to install NetBSD sounds
like something that Billy Gates would dream up.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com