Subject: uucp pkg available for testing [was: Re: Proposal for new utility
To: Lucio De Re <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/17/2001 23:34:53
On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Lucio De Re wrote:
> * intentionally personal reply - feel free to publish *

OK! :)

> > Less bloat - UUCP for pkgsrc NOW!
> As a keen UUCP user, I couldn't agree more.
> In fact, there's good reason for moving as much of the base system
> into the pkg system (I would imagine we need a basepkg concept)
> because there's more flexibility then.
> I like /etc/uucp to a degree, and would like to find UUCP there
> after pkg-installing it, but it would be preferable if one could
> specify in a configuration file (mk.conf) where one installs such
> a tool.  Further, I'm sure I'm more likely to find example files
> in the pkg-ized UUCP than is presently the case.

OK, let's get to it. I'm really UUCP clueless, so I'd appreciate some
input. I've made a UUCP package and placed it at

The path is currently encoded as /etc/uucp, but it can easily be changed
with soem variable, see the pkg's Makefile.

Please test and let me know if this package works, or how it can be

One issue I know is not handled right now is that no user 'uucp' is
created if it doesn't exist. That should be fixed in a final version.

> The other question, of course, is why the package format isn't
> extended to the installation, if necessary enhanced to deal with
> the more raw circumstances.  Putting it another way, why does one
> not pkg-install the development system, games, etc, rather than
> extract them as we do presently.

Um, historic reasons - the pkg system is not as old as the rest of the
system, but the goal is to move to a pkg based base system eventually. I
hear there's some work on it's way, but that should not stop us now.

> If you need some manual labour to head in that direction, I'm
> willing to lend both hands.

See the above package! :-)
Send me back any changes, comments, etc. you have!

 - Hubert

* Basics ->
* Setup  ->