Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/17/2001 14:47:58
    Jason> On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 11:50:57PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

    >> One thing that I'd like to see is a warning from LD if I wind up attempting
    >> the:
    >> ld -o foo foo.o -llibbar -llibc.so.13
    >>
    >> where libbar depends upon libc.so.12.

    Jason> ELF has no way to do this -- I've already said why -- "libc.so.12" and
    Jason> "libc.so.13" are DIFFERENT LIBRARIES as far as ELF is concerned.

  Could we put a symbol in to each .so. that gave the "basename" of the
library? It would be custom hackery.

    Jason> No, I don't believe we will HAVE to do it.

  We won't be forced.
  Rather, the pressure will increase greatly.

  Assume that we do a thread-safe libc. (libc_r or some such).
  It would be nice if we could dispense with all the renames at that
point. One doesn't link with both. The above check would also come in handy.

    Jason> Note we are not the only system to note this problem/issue -- Solaris has
    Jason> had the same libc major number for ... a very long time, and uses a renaming
    Jason> scheme similar to the one we use in its libc.

  Yeah. Perhaps someone will eventually solve the problem in some as yet
unthought of fashion...