Subject: Re: standard MAN page format
To: Michael Richardson <>
From: Wiz <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/17/2001 17:11:52
In article <> you wrote:

>	> On Fri, 12 Oct 2001, Michael Richardson wrote:
>     >> I think that we should introduce a new standard header: HOMEPAGE.
>     >> A URL could go under HISTORY instead I suppose.
[and later]
>   uh, the Makefile isn't installed with the pkg.
>   A *user* of a system may not even know about "pkg".
>   They just know that "man foo" tells them about the program.

I think the better answer is to educate your users in this case:
`pkg_info packagename' includes the Homepage URL.

If you want to have the homepage included in the man page, I think you
should take up this discussion with the groff maintainers.  There
actually is a .URL even in the groff in -current, but I think it's
only honored if you convert to HTML.

The problem is that we'd have to patch literally thousands of man
pages in pkgsrc, and I don't think that's realistic, or useful.

Thomas Klausner -
War is an instrument entirely inefficient toward redressing wrong; and
multiplies, instead of indemnifying losses. -- Thomas Jefferson, author,
architect, and third U.S. president (1743-1826)