Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
To: None <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/17/2001 00:05:49
[ On Tuesday, October 16, 2001 at 19:41:54 (-0700), Jason R Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
>
> If the only thing preventing a piece of software from working properly
> on a libc-bump'd NetBSD system is a shlib version bumping of some random
> 3rd party program, that is what I would call "stupid".

OK, so which is it?  Either there's a problem, or there isn't.

If the API hasn't changed then the 3rd-party developer only has to
recompile and re-release his or her software.  They seem to do that
anyway even when the ABI hasn't changed.

> Face it -- it is a problem we have to consider, otherwise you have to
> deal with frustrated users who have programs break "randomly".  The
> last thing I want to do is make NetBSD less pleasant from a user/upgrade
> point of view.

Call me naive or paranoid or something, but I _never_ upgrade a
production system without taking great care to ensure that all the
necessary software can also be upgraded or preserved in working order.

If users are indeed "randomly" upgrading then they're eventually going
to have their programs break "randomly" no matter how much care is taken
to try to preserve the libc ABI in NetBSD.  There are a _lot_ more
factors than just libc involved here!

Remember I'm talking about whatever ends up being defined as ``major''
release cycles here -- obviously the bump from 1.5.2 to 1.5.3 should not
change any ABI in any shared library, no matter what.  I too would be
very unhappy if I a patch release upgrade broke any/all of my software!

However on the other hand I personally would have no sympathy whatsoever
for anyone who upgraded their base OS through a major release level and
then found out after it was too late that their mumblefoo third-party
application wouldn't fire up any more.  Anyone who is that careless gets
what they deserve.  If the majority of NetBSD users would fall under
this classification then I'm not sure I'd want to be widely known as
NetBSD user!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods