Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/16/2001 19:41:54
On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 10:27:54PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

 > This isn't an issue of co-ordinating anyone.  Each and every developer
 > and each and every user of third-party dynamic-linked products can
 > choose exactly when they will upgrade their base-os.  The users
 > obviously have to wait for the developers, but from what we've seen so
 > far this isn't a huge problem -- the developer of the one and only
 > example that's been mentioned so far seems more than willing and able to
 > keep up with new releases of NetBSD regardless.

If the only thing preventing a piece of software from working properly
on a libc-bump'd NetBSD system is a shlib version bumping of some random
3rd party program, that is what I would call "stupid".

Face it -- it is a problem we have to consider, otherwise you have to
deal with frustrated users who have programs break "randomly".  The
last thing I want to do is make NetBSD less pleasant from a user/upgrade
point of view.