Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: James Graham <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/14/2001 11:26:30
On Sun, 14 Oct 2001, Robert Elz wrote:

#   | As has been discussed on the project mailing lists over and over:
#   | We can't bumb the libc major number, ever. We would have to bumb all the
#   | major numbers of all shared libraries - our own and third-party
#   | - that reference libc (that is, all of them).
#
# I understand why we need to keep libc.12 essentially forever now, I don't
# understand why that means we can't have a libc.13 (and 14, and ...) as well.

The thing I am not getting here is why we have to bump ALL the major
numbers.

# I keep getting the feeling that there's some technical reason I'm not
# understanding why this can't work.

aol();

# kre

				--*greywolf;