Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/14/2001 12:45:04
[ On Sunday, October 14, 2001 at 15:40:28 (+0200), "Jaromír" Dolecek wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
>
> MINOURA Makoto wrote:
> > Our another choice would be simply bumping libc major # to
> > add the new member to struct __sFILE, without any hacks.
> > It's cleaner and easier.
>
> Yes, but bumping libc major has quite a few consequences. Besides
> base libs, we'd need to have major of e.g. X libs bumped, KDE libs
> bumped, etc. I don't thing this is reasonable to do.

Why not?  It seems like the perfectly natural thing to do.

Of course when this eventually happens it would be nice to take the time
to remove all the bloat incurred by renames and such....

There is a time to break from the old.  If NetBSD doesn't do it at some
point there'll no doubt be a time where it becomes an anachronism
itself.

--
							Greg A. Woods