Subject: Re: stdio FILE extension
To: MINOURA Makoto <minoura@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/14/2001 15:40:28
MINOURA Makoto wrote:
> Our another choice would be simply bumping libc major # to
> add the new member to struct __sFILE, without any hacks.
> It's cleaner and easier.

Yes, but bumping libc major has quite a few consequences. Besides
base libs, we'd need to have major of e.g. X libs bumped, KDE libs
bumped, etc. I don't thing this is reasonable to do.

BTW, the trick used by YAMAMOTO Takashi is quite cool and good idea
given the compatibility constraints.  Similar thing might be done
to cleanly add e.g. pthread locks in struct FILE.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
NetBSD - just plain best OS! -=*=- Got spare MCA cards or docs? Hand me them!