Subject: Re: Proposal for new utility in base: bin/nc
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Eric Gillespie, Jr. <epg@pretzelnet.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/12/2001 07:44:12
Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com> writes:

    > Never used it...  You haven't described its functionality
    > here, so I'm still not sure what it does.  ftp(1) is also a
    > useful mass transfer program :-)

I figured people would download my tarball and read the man page.

    > If it's in /bin, it implies that you'll use it in single
    > user mode.  If so, it has to be statically linked.  Once

I proposed putting it in /bin, so of course i need it in
single-user and it will be statically linked.  I quoted the
dynamic size because i figured that would be more useful.

    > you start pulling in nameserver goo, static program size
    > explodes...

Not so.  Statically linked, it's smaller than ls.

-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  297431 Sep 23 17:13 /bin/ls
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  224565 Oct  4 22:32 /bin/nc

    > While I don't mean to sound too negative, I'm wondering
    > what usefulness it provides over other tools already in the
    > base system.

Clearly you haven't even bothered to look at what i've done.  No
other tool in the base system does what nc does.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pretzelnet.org

"This movie sure is gory!"
"Yeah, but that's one cute pig."