Subject: Re: wrap up of pipe(2)
To: None <>
From: Michael van Elst <>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/12/2001 00:10:22
mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA (der Mouse) writes:

>But if - and this is my position - the manpage is not only
>documentation on what NetBSD does, but more general documentation on
>the call, warnings about what might surprise someone coming from
>elsewhere to NetBSD, someone going from NetBSD to elsewhere, what it
>might do in the future, or used to do but doesn't any that
>case, it's appropriate to mention EFAULT, because of all the reasons
>that have been brought up before and don't need to be rehashed again.

Quote from POSIX Programmer's Guide:

EFAULT    The system detected an invalid address in attempting to use an
          argument of a function call.

          No functions are required to detect this condition.

Which means the standard allows the syscall to check and then return
EFAULT on error or not check and then cause a segfault.

                                Michael van Elst