Subject: Re: pipe(2) and invalid fildes
To: <>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/01/2001 21:11:26
On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 07:37:57AM +0000, Charles M. Hannum wrote:
> > The manpage states that EFAULT is returned by pipe(2) if fildes
> > buffer is in an invalid area of the process's address space.  That
> > is simply not true, and thus I think that sentense should be removed.
>
> Let me translate:
>
> "Rather than having a static interface definition independent of the
> implementation, we could have a floating definition dependent on the
> current implementation."
>
> I fail to see how this is any friendlier.  In fact, it sounds downright
> hostile to me.

Do we plan in some way to make it return EFAULT one day? That is, is there
any standard document (e.g., POSIX $somethingorother or older BSD system
implementation - SUSV2 doesn't) that encourages or mandates returning EFAULT?

I don't think that we should add code to the library stub to do the
conversion, just to make handling of programming errors "easier".

(I do agree that the manpage should document correct behaviour, and document
 current deviations from that as BUGS.)

	-is