Subject: Re: Timezone for /etc/security
To: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/01/2001 12:41:10
On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Curt Sampson wrote:
> To avoid this problem and similar problems, I propose to put
>
>     TZ=UTC; export TZ
>
> at the beginning of /etc/security. I'll do this before reading
> security.conf, so that it can be overridden there if an admin really
> wants to have this run in another time zone (though I can't think of
> any good reason to do this).
>
> Does this seem reasonable? I can't see this even causing much lossage
> after an upgrade, since you're likely to be replacing all your setuid
> files at the same time anyway.

I'm not sure this doesn't raise confusion: e.g. if I know I changed some
file at a certain time, then /etc/security tells me a different time.
How about unsettting TZ ("unset TZ"), instead of setting it to UTC?

 - Hubert

* Basics -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/05/24/ipv6_tutorial.html
* Setup  -> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/06/01/ipv6_tutorial.html
Of course with your #1 IPv6 ready operating system -> http://www.NetBSD.org/