Subject: Re: utmp file format change
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/27/2001 09:57:51
>> right.  i was thinking of smoething a little more silly like
>>
>> 	int f = open(NULL, O_RDWR|O_CREAT|O_UNLINK, 0);
>>
>> which would give me back something that had a link count of zero.
>
>On what medium would it store its data?

off=hand, i'd say that NULL would imply whatever "." was, or you could
pass a path in, from which the kernel would intuit a specific file
system.

the point is that the file, while backed by disk space somewhere, does
not really exist, and gets deallocated when the file descriptor is
closed.  it's sort of like kernel support for tmpfile, but safer.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|