Subject: Re: utmp file format change
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/24/2001 21:07:43
On Sun, 23 Sep 2001, Bill Studenmund wrote:

: > i, for one, have always wondered why the portal file system didn't
: > hand back descriptors that could handle a seek.  that seems (to me, at
: > least) like a better thing to "fix".
: >
: > or maybe i'm just on crack again...  :)
:
: The problem is that we don't have an fd-based interface (pipes, ptys, etc)
: which will communicate a seek to a program on the other side. So there is
: nothing that portalfs can ship back that will work.

Which leads back around the circle to the misconception about what portalfs
is:  it's a portal to existing filesystems, not a filesystem of its own.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5.2 available on CD-ROM soon!  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/