Subject: Re: utmp file format change
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@crufty.net>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/22/2001 02:43:12
>A device node doing the translation is my best suggestion at this point, as
>it doesn't have the problems of Solaris's "update daemon":  it catches
>old-utmp accesses where they happen, and needs no "cleanup" procedure.

Do you have an estimate on how much work this is?

If its essentially a standalone feature - does not permiate throughout
the kernel, can be an option (on by default in GENERIC) and esp if
it has some use other than dealing with utmp, I don't have a problem
with it.

[sorry if you've covered all the above previously and I missed it,
or am just reading this thread out of order]

--sjg