Subject: Re: utmp file format change
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/21/2001 16:54:04
Greg A. Woods wrote:

> I'm not so sure the Solaris solution is anywhere near ideal.  It has
> numerous twisted bass-ackwards quirks due to their insane desire to give
> 100% backward binary run-time compatabilty of the on-disk data.

This is a goal for NetBSD too.  Perhaps someone has a binary-only
program that scribbles wtmp entries, and they can't upgrade the program
for whatever reason.  We don't want to tell them "you can use any
version of NetBSD up to version Foo, after that tough luck because we
made a gratuitous file format change without bothering to put any amount
of thought into backwards compatibility."

for

Simon.
NetBSD CDs, Support and Service:    http://www.wasabisystems.com/