Subject: Re: utmp file format change
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/21/2001 01:12:12
On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Greg A. Woods wrote:

: > 	i was just wondering how many application we would need to
: > 	rewrite/change (incl. thirdparty apps like kterm/xterm/whatever),
: > 	and i thought we should minimize the change from the current file
: > 	format - only the changes in these constants (which leads me to
: > 	prefer openbsd approach).
:
: If NetBSD were to implement the full SysV API for wtmp/utmp handling
: then there'd be less worries about third party apps since they would
: just use the API, and many will already have code to do so (though it
: may need to be specially enabled).

You might want to look at the Single Unix Specification -- it explicitly
documents <utmpx.h> and its #define UTMP_FILE.  The SUSv2 spec doesn't give
details on how to use utmpx separately from wtmpx, but such usage can be
copied from Solaris as "the" reference implementation.

If we also implement the SYSV <utmp.h>, great, but we definitely should
implement the <utmpx.h> API since it has been documented, and is widely
used.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5.2 available on CD-ROM soon!  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/