Subject: Re: ignoring return values from functions.
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/21/2001 04:50:21
James Graham <greywolf@starwolf.com> writes:

>BSD used to have a fairly decent "lint" program; if it's not the same
>now as it used to be, what happened?

I guess it was "encumbered"...
As a side note, I always find it very helpful not to rely on one
compiler, or one source checker but simply try to build the stuff
on several platforms with the vendor's compiler instead.
I regularly run all my programs through at least HP's and DEC/Compaq's
(uh, make that HP also now?) compilers which have much better diagnostics
than gcc anyways.  I don't use the NetBSD lint(1) program since it
basically doesn't discover more than gcc with -W<obscene-amount-of-warning-
levels> and on other platforms, the functionality of lint is already
available in the compiler.

--mkb